In June 2020 Deloraine-Winchester Historical Society proposed the establishment of the Prairie Sentinels Park.
For many decades, grain elevators dotted the landscape along the C P rail line across the entire breadth of our community. At one time there were six elevators within town limits. Today there are none. This is unfortunate as an entire block of our community’s history has been lost. Cost prohibits either locating and moving an existing elevator or construction of a replica, even on a small scale.
Therefore DWHS proposed to dedicate the current park space to a pictorial history of the grain elevators – the sentinels of the prairies (so called because they “kept watch” over the prairies) – that were once so vital to this community.
Our vision is to place story boards along the walkway in the park explaining the history and importance of grain elevators to the farming communities of Canada, with a specific focus on each of the elevators that once stood along the line through Deloraine Ogilvie, N.M. Paterson, Federal Grain, Farmer’s, Pool/Agricore, United Grain Growers.
Given the park’s location – on property where one of the six once stood – there is no better setting for telling the story of Deloraine’s very own prairie sentinels.
The opening date of the park to be announced.
Built in 1896, this historic fieldstone building is a monument to the prairie settlers faith, determination and resourcefulness.
The Deloraine Presbyterian Church was declared as a Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site Deloraine Presbyterian Church
Now it serves as a community resource center where you will find employment services, public internet access, service Canada location, training programs and more.
Location: 220 South Railway Ave W, Deloraine, MB
There were 2 distinct eras of coal mining in our region, 1883-1908 and 1931-1943.
The coal supplied the people of area with cheap fuel, provided jobs during hard times like the depression and made our area more appealing to settlers as a place to live.
A Manitoba Heritage Council plaque, within the Goodland's area, commemorates the site of Manitoba’s only commercial coal mines in the Turtle Mountain Regions.
For more information on Manitoba's Coal Rush follow the provided link Manitoba's Coal Rush
The video made by the Turtle Mountain-Souris Plains Heritage Association, covers the early years of Southwest Manitoba Coal mining operation
The Metis have a very deeply rooted presence in the Turtle Mountains.
As a regular stopping point for the Aboriginal nomadic hunters the area was eventually settled by the metis in the early 1900’s.
Billy Gosselin and his family were one of the first families to make the area around Lake Dromore their home.
For more information on Billy Gosselin and Billy's Point, follow the link provided Billy's Point
The Turtle Mountain Local is one of 18 locals in SW Region of the Manitoba Metis Federation that has made it their mission to preserve, protect, and educate people of their unique culture, history, food, music and dance.
For more information of the Metis in our area please contact Leah at 204-725-7250. The annual Metis Days is an excellent way to share and learn in the Metis traditions.
The first land titles office in the Turtle Mountains was established in August of 1880.
This office was located 3 miles south of the Old Deloraine townsite and right beside the Boundary Commission Trail and on the bank of the Turtlehead Creek.
Mr. George F. Newcomb was the Land Office Clerk.
All newcomers to the area were required to make their way to Newcomb to fill out applications for land and pay the accompanying fees.
In 1886, with the construction of the railroad the land titles office moved several miles northwest to the current location of Deloraine. The location today is now marked by the south side of the Deloraine Reservoir.
For more information on Newcomb's Hollow, follow the provided link Newcomb's Hollow
GPS Coordinates: 49.134387, -100.400872
DMS Coordinates: 49°08’03,8N 100°24’24’03.1″W
Passing through our region and the Turtle Mountains is the Boundary Commission Trail.
The purpose of the trail spans centuries. In our area the trail was the Metis used this trail for trading and pursuit of buffalo and wove groves in it with their Red River Carts that can still be seen today. The first villages in SW Manitoba were established along the trail, flourishing until the railroad came to the area. For centuries it served as the highway to the west transporting goods and people. The trail later was used to establish the border between what is now Canada and the USA.
For more information on the Boundary Commission Trail, follow the links provided The Boundary Commission Trail and Boundary Commission Trail - Turtlehead Creek Crossing
The site of Old Deloraine is marked by one of only 2 stone bank vaults in existence in western Canada.
The vault was used prior to the town being relocated to its present day location.
Old Deloraine was established in 1882 on a site where Canadian Pacific Railway was predicted to pass through, but in 1886 CPR constructors favoured the flat lands several miles to the North.
Placed on skids, the buildings in the village were hauled over the snow that winter to the new town site and current location of Deloraine.
The Bank Vault site has been declared as an Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 100
All that remains to mark Old Deloraine is the Bank Vault. It can be viewed by turning south on the golf course road, travel one mile, turn at the first left and travel to the first farm yard, also on your left and turn in. The Vault is located in the farmer’s yard, free to drive in, the owners do not mind the company!
GPS Coordinates: 49.159283, -100.407564
DMS Coordinates: 49°09’33.4″N 100°24’27.2″W